DubGeneration - Vimeo DubGeneration - Facebook DubGeneration - Twitter DubGeneration - Contact Us
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to DubGeneration.

Please take a couple of minutes to say hello and tell us about your rides once you've signed up.

Please note: Any for sale/wanted ads placed in here, or any other section of the forum apart from the correct ones, will be deleted without question. The minimum 25 post rule is in place for a reason!

Post subject: 6 Volt issues
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm 
Newbie alert

Hi Everyone

I have just bought a 1968 VW Beetle Crossover which is the "newer" model with the old 6 volt wiring. The bodywork and chassis are in really good condition but the electrics have already given me a few headaches.

What are peoples thoughts on converting it to 12 Volt? And if that is not the done thing how can i get more reliability from the original wiring?

Can anybody put me in touch with a Auto Electrician local to Norwich that i can talk to?

As you probably know by now i am new to this so my apologies if am asking too much as a newbie!

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

AdrianHubbard

Post subject: Re: 6 Volt issues
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 pm 

Hi Adrain, welcome to the club :) .
I would try Fakenham Auto Electrical 01328 851492,their good and 'old fashioned' so would probably know about that age of cars. and ask for Karl (the boss). tell him your were given his number by me .I have a Corrado/Polo and one or two Golfs he will know me (!) and He likes VW's too. Can't promise but worth a try. he is a fan also of Vw having owned a Socorro until recently.
I used to have a 6V car and its not very clever now days as the lights are so poor! If its a rare thing though I would not change it unless your doing daily runs. May be just a bit of work would improve things a lot for you.
Marcus.

Post subject: Re: 6 Volt issues
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm 
Newbie alert

Hi Marcus

Thanks very much for your response to my query it's very helpful.

I will offer some feed back once I have it.